Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

What a great day. I'm Episcopal. I used to be atheist. Long story, I'll save it for another day. For today, I'm loving Ash Wednesday. For those of you who don't know, this is a day when people in the Catholic, Episcopal, and Lutheran (and possibly other) faiths go to church and get marked with the sign of the cross on their forehead. According to wiki (and the faith the I follow) the purpose of this bizarre ritual is to "Turn away from sin, and be faithful to the Gospel," but this is not why I love this day.

Everywhere I went today I saw a bunch of people with ash crosses on their heads, and everywhere I went today I saw a bunch of people looking at the people with ash crosses on their heads. What I saw everywhere was people with the courage to wear their faith on the face, and others who wondered what it was for. Every year on this day, I get to see the courage that people have to show what they believe in, in as open and honest a way as possible. What I love most about this day, is that people believe in something and are willing to back it up with action.

How often do we shy away from our feelings, beliefs, and interpretations because we are afraid to look silly to someone else? I'm not saying 'we' as in 'we fellow Christians,' I'm saying 'we' as in 'we human beings'. Way too many people are afraid to say what they think and why they think it. If you are human, you have an opinion. If you are human, you have a right to that opinion. Say it, spout it, shout it from the rooftops! Believe what you believe and have the courage of conviction to back it up! I don't care whether it is in faith in God & Jesus, a belief that there is no God, a belief in inalienable rights, democratic leanings, republican leanings, veganism, feminism, or The Flying Spaghetti Monster. What I care about is that you are passionate enough to share your thoughts and feelings, and to have open conversation with those that both agree and disagree. Today, in my faith, is a day to repent for your sins and prepare for your journey into the Lenten season, but it's also a wonderful day to see that there are those people out there that aren't afraid to show what they believe in. Go Ashey people!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think the other thing about Ash Wednesday is that it keeps us "right sized" in our faith. The act of receiving the ashes states "Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return." It just helps me remember that even though we may be proclaiming what we believe in a very obvious way, we are also reminded that the only enduring thing is God and the kingdom - and us, if we accept the invitation of faith.

    ReplyDelete