Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Simplicity

So I've been having trouble figuring out what to write on my 'blog'. I keep coming up with ideas, but the then I don't think that I actually want to write about it. Then I think I figured out why I'm having issues: I made it too specific. This is supposed to be about new beginnings and the unfinished business of life. Why did I make it so specific? I thought it would make a cute title :)

Well, in the true spirit of things, I'm going to change it. Instead I want to write about whatever I want to write about, whenever I want to write about it. This is my blog, and I'm gonna do it (but the name will stay the same).

Ironically, this post is about a new beginning. Every year about this time, a whole bunch of people around the world do a really bizarre thing: we give up something for 40 days in order to refocus our intentions and focus on our faith. We have a big party on Shrove Tuesday (pancakes and yummy goodness), then we take on a discipline of giving something up, or taking something on. This year, my husband is giving up eating meat (which in turns makes me give it up since I cook), and I'm giving up DVDs. Since we've been on the Dave Ramsey program we haven't had cable, and we don't own rabbit ears, so the only TV entertainment I have are my movies and TV series on DVD. I'm addicted. I like having the noise on in the background, but it makes me highly unproductive. This year, without TV of any sort, I hope to get in better shape, read more, write more (did I mention that I'm writing a novel?), and in general regrasp my intellegence. Beginning on Wednesday the 17th of February I will begin the annual Lenten Journey that I have taken on every year that I can remember. Some years I make it the whole 40 days, some years I fall short (like the year I gave up caffeine). Will I make it this year? I know the suspense is killing you, but you'll just have to stay posted and find out :)

2 comments:

  1. I like that you are broadening the subject of the blog, that will make it more interesting for sure. Really, people want to hear about YOU, and whatever what YOU want to write about will make us all happy!

    As black hearted atheists Cody and I know nothing about religion, really, but I have heard of Lent before. I think the concept sounds like a great idea. We all live cushy lives and giving something up, for whatever reason, can always lead to spiritual growth while we learn something about ourselves.

    Ahhhh giving up dvds. I'm like you, I like the background noise! I work from home, most every day of the week, staring at my computer all day. I think I'd get a lot more done if I'd switch off the tv, too! Maybe I should give that a try.

    And, of course, I'm THRILLED that Stuart is giving meat up for the month. If you want my vegan nutritional consultant advice - PLEASE warn him not to increase his regular dairy intake AT ALL. A lot of people, when they give up meat, over dose on dairy, thinking they need it (they don't) or think it is okay since they've given up meat. It isn't. Dairy is even worse for us than meat, and causes even more health problems, in many cases. If you eat more of it while on a meat free diet, instead of reaping the amazing benefits you are hoping for, you will end up feeling REALLY bad. So, give him my warning! And tell him I know a great blog to read if he wants some delicious vegan recipes.......

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heehee - I knew you'd comment on this one :)

    Actually, I would really like to get the green juice recipe from you. You talk so much about it and we're kind of doing a detox for the first 4 days. Can you send it my way?

    ReplyDelete