Monday, December 26, 2011

Pepper & Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Ever have a day where you know that you have an ingredient in your fridge that will go bad if you don't use it ASAP? This happened to me the other day with some bell peppers.  I knew I needed to cook them, but I didn't have a lot of stuff on hand.  On my way home from picking up my daughter from day care, I was picturing all the food I had in my fridge and pantry (which wasn't much), and came up with Pepper & Shrimp Fra Diavolo.  Stuart and I love anything spicy, and when we first moved into our home his mom bought us red pepper flakes from Costo.  I still have the huge jar even though we use them all the time, so I decided to put them to good use.  One of the other blogs I read (http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/) shows great pictures of the ingredients before she begins to cook.  She also does these great mid-cooking shots as well, but I'm so not going to show you all the complete mess that I make when I cook :)

Pepper & Shrimp Fra Diavolo


12-15 Count Frozen Shrimp
3 Bell Peppers of Any Color
1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Basil & Garlic
1/2 Box Rotini Pasta
Parmesan Cheese

Put the noodles on to boil according to the box, and yes, I do add salt to the water.  Whenever the noodles are done, strain them and drizzles a little olive oil over them to keep them from sticking. In the meantime, cut the bell peppers into strips, then half them.  I sauteed them in butter (yummmmm) until they were starting to get brown all over.  Next, I added the can of tomatoes and the pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.  Once the mixture came to a simmer, I added the frozen shrimp directly to the sauce until they were pink all over.  I served the sauce over the noodles, and topped it with freshly shredded Parmesan. I learned from my Oma Betty (grandmother) that real Parmesan is the only way to go!

Pepper & Shrimp Fra Diavolo


It turned out pretty well for being a made-up recipe. As my husband put it, "It was subtly spicy, and surprisingly light." You could put the sauce over brown rice or spaghetti squash if you were watching the health factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment