Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Beginnings...Yet Again

I'm a starter. I like new beginnings. They are fresh, invigorating, motivating, exciting, and appealing. Does that mean I'm a finisher? Not really :) When it comes to work and a few major life goals I follow through, but the intrigue in something is more in the beginning.

Join me on a journey of "fits and starts" as I take on new projects, new processes, and new programs. (Ha! I love alliteration too!) Some of these new undertakings will stick, and some of these new undertakings will fall to the way side, but all of them will teach me, and hopefully you, something new.

My current new projects: bread making, weekly meal planning, and running. For those of you who know me, you're probably laughing out loud at the thought of me running at all, but that's the fun of this. Trying something new. I'm learning the ins and outs of making homemade yeast bread and so far I'm loving it. There's nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread wafting through the house (except the smell of fresh cooked bacon!), but so far the pit falls have been more often than the successes. The coolest attempt so far was homemade bagels. Yes, bagels. I learned that, when bread making, you can make the equivalent of edible bricks, but you can also make some amazing food. Next up...hoagie rolls!

The hoagie rolls are actually for dinner next week, according to my weekly meal plan. Have you ever heard of emealz.com? I found out about them through the Dave Ramsey show, and they have weekly meal plans available complete with shopping lists so that you don't have to make them yourself. Stuart, my husband, and I have been using them for a while, but now I've started making my own. Once I figure out how to post documents to the blog I'll post some of them. They take a while to do, but it's so much fun to get creative with food!

Lastly, I'm attempting to start running regularly. That's a laugh. I have never been a runner. I hate running. It's boring. It's slow. It's painful. You name it. But for some reason, I feel oddly compelled to get out on the road and run. Any suggestions? I'll take them.

What does all of this amount to? Nothing much, but it's fun and fullfilling. Why are we so afraid to try new things? Are we afraid that we might fail? Are we afraid that we might look stupid? The worst that can happen is you waste a little time or money on something that you never do again, but you can't waste your time learning something else. Will this new blog be yet another thing that I try and don't follow through on? Or will this be one of the things I begin that stays with me? We'll just have to find out together.

4 comments:

  1. Bread making rules! I love to bake bread...if only I would do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you with the running! I have lost of tips...and if ya wanna run together gimme a shout! My ankle is still a little angry right now but I can probably handle a short run. AND I'm able to give advice anytime....(^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have a great recipe if you want to make bagels! Have you heard of Smitten Kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a good recipe. What's Smitten Kitchen? Fill me in :)

    ReplyDelete