Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pearl Farmer's Market

I haven't been to a Farmer's Market since I was living in Colorado back in the late '90s (that really shouldn't feel so long ago, but it does), and this past weekend I finally went back to this wonderful world. I always loved the fresh produce, great homemade products, amazing organic meat options (sorry Tasha), and my favorite: Kettle Korn. A few months ago the old Pearl Brewery added a new complex with a Farmer's Market out back, and I've been dying to go. Last week I finally did, and it was wonderful.



Mom (the best friend I could ask for) and I met down past Alamo Heights and got to explore the new complex. Along with a lot of (I'm assuming) upscale office buildings, there is a neat kitchen store and one of San Antonio's cutest bookstores, The Twig Book Shop, where we ran into an old friend, which was pretty neat.


The Farmer's Market is out back behind Full Goods and it looks out onto a gorgeous portion of the Riverwalk.

The first booth we stopped at had some wonderful greens, and I unfortunately didn't get the farm's name or I would plug them. I bought some spinach off of the them, and it was some of the best I've ever had! Very robust and flavorful. I was looking for baby spinach and bought the regular by accident, but I wasn't disappointed at all.


My favorite booth that day was for Sol y Luna Baking Company from here in San Antonio. The smell coming from this bread was intoxicating. As I've recently gotten into making bread myself, it was relieving to smell these wonderful smells without putting in all of the work. To top it off, the people were incredibly nice and inquisitive about my photography and my blog. The bread Mom and I got there was delicious. I think we got the rosemary ciabatta, and we had it that night with some marinated feta cheese that we got at another booth at the market. It was delicate, but tasty. If you get a chance: eat this bread!



Another intriguing booth was a tilapia and herb farm that utilized aquaponic farming (which I will let you google). The couple that runs the farm and the booth were very sweet and were patient with me as I asked all my questions. They even had a binder full of the pictures of their operation. Next time I go I will be getting some of this fish. It is fresh caught and filleted the day before coming to the market. I bet it is amazing. Too bad I have to wait.






The last booth I was able to stop at was for Sally's Salsa, and, you guessed it, they sell salsa, along with many other products. I was looking to get a jar to add to a mexican lasagna I was planning on making, and while in my opinion the lasagna was a complete dud, the salsa turned out to be really good. Maybe if I just ate it with chips, and left out the 'me cooking' bit, it would've been a better dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Eeek! I'm so excited about this! I wish it had been there when I was living in San Antonio, I think I know where all of my money might have gone. I adore farmer's markets, of course, they don't have any here...or any organic produce for that matter. Sigh. I'll have to live vicariously through you! This one sounds great.

    I'm especially dreaming of all that salsa! Good, locally made, salsa is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most fun days I've ever experienced. Lovely weather, lovely food, lovely company!
    I love you, too,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete