Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ship in a Bottle

Have you ever done something that you weren't sure you could actually do? I just did, and it was pretty cool. I had one of those great days yesterday where you go home feeling great and accomplished, and I decided to go for a run. Since my first post I've only gone running once and it was more of a leisurely walk. Stuart and I have a route that we take through the neighborhood that is probably about 2 miles long, we start heading slightly downhill (either way we go), and the return trip is a gradual uphill that really works our glutes. We've walked it a few times, but today I wanted to run it. I found my sansa player (blew off the dust) and headed out the door. I walked the first 2o feet or so, then started running, and running, and running. I didn't stop until I got to the halfway mark at the end of the neighborhood. I haven't gone that far since doing figure-8's with my highschool volleyball team! The endorphins kicked in by the end of the run and I switched back and forth between power walking and running all the way home.

Now I know I'm not usually the cheesey one, but on the last downhill run the coolest thing happened. I was listening to Dave Matthews on my mp3 player (which by the way is not the most motivating workout music) when these lyrics were being sung:

"Some might tell you there's no hope in hand,
just because they feel hopeless.
But you don't have to be a thing like that;
you be a ship in a bottle set sail."

If you haven't heard the song: do it. It was oddly inspiring. Here I was running for the first time in almost a decade, heading towards the sun setting over the pond (no kidding), listening to a gorgeous song with a beautiful message. Be the ship in a bottle that sets sail. Don't stay on the mantle, bound forever. Break free of your expectations, make life what you want to make it, hope always no matter what, and live life without being bound by expectations. The moment felt like a super-sappy end to a t.v. movie, but it also felt really cool. Once my muscles forgive me, I think I might head out again...

2 comments:

  1. Yay you! The feeling you described so beautifully is exactly what hooked me on running. Run with it (but be sure to listen to your body too, and don't overdo it!)

    Kabrena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Haley, I just woke up and reading this put a huge smile on my sleepy face. YOU ROCK! Keep it up and have fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete