Monday, February 6, 2012

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

On Saturday we celebrated another birthday for the most amazing mother (and grandmother) ever!  My mom turned 27 on February 4th...again.  From his 'comfy' place of work in Africa, my dad arranged for the family to take Mom out for dinner and a show in Fredericksburg, and we had a blast.  Stuart and I LOVE Fredericksburg!  It's one of our favorite cities.  We both have a soft spot for German beer and German food, and you can't get better of either than in this small Hill Country town.  Plus their shopping is pretty good, too.

We ate at Friedhelm's Bavarian Restaurant (so, of course, I suspended my diet for a night) and ate way too much food.  You know you're in for a GREAT meal when the menu has a "Lighter Side" section that contains chicken fried steak and fried pork cutlets!  I tried to send myself a picture of the menu to share with you all, but my phone is the black hole of pictures.  I can't get pictures off of my phone and when I email them to myself they go into the nether regions of space until they show up in my inbox months later.  I'll post it whenever it shows up.  It's funny, I swear.

I ended up eating 'my usual,' which is jager schnitzel.  You can't beat fried and breaded pork with a brown gravy mushroom sauce.  We also had fresh pumperknickel bread, a sausage platter with fantabulous brown mustard, and a giant tankard of German beer!

After dinner we headed over to the Rock Box Theater in downtown Fredericksburg. It was so much fun!!! Their website says, "From Buddy Holly to the Beatles, Sgt. Peppers to Stevie Ray - you are sure to hear your favorites at a Rockbox performance. We play tunes from the Golden Era of Rock N' Roll. The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even music of today are all represented (although not each at every show!) We have the only professionally cast LIVE Rock N' Roll show in the Texas Hill Country," but that doesn't really explain what it is.  We laughed sooooo hard!  My favorite was when the three main men became a Bluegrass trio and did rock n' roll covers.  I was in tears!  There is nothing like a banjo version of "Stop in the Name of Love!"

All in all it was a great evening.  I missed baby girl, who was home with Grams, but we had such a good time.  Happy birthday, Grandma! We're always up for celebrating your 27th birthday over, and over, and over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment