Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Foodie Wednesday: Lava Cakes

A few weeks ago, my mom hosted a dinner party, and I helped cook some of the menu.  One thing (I was shocked to find out) was Chocolate Lava Cakes. I am not a baker. I have never been a baker.  Things burn around me. And now I have to make a crazy difficult dessert that I've never made before for a dinner party? What?!?

(click the name to go to the original recipe at Food Network)

2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
4 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of nutmeg
12 oz semisweet chocolate
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar (plus more for dusting)
6 large eggs plus 6 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract

First, take out your frustrations on the chocolate.  I love chef's knives, so I went to town chopping the chocolate into melt-able chunks.



Next, (I forgot to take pictures) preheat your oven to 400 degrees and butter eight (6 oz) ramekins.  Sprinkle each ramekin with 1/2 tsp of the granulated sugar and set aside.  Combine the butter, cinnamon, cayenne, nutmeg, and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat.  Melt everything together.  This is a slow process, because you want to make sure you don't burn your chocolate.  It's already bitter.  Don't add 'scorched' to flavor profile as well.

Once the chocolate is melted, set the pan on a cool burner while you mix the other ingredients (flour, confectioner's sugar, eggs (and yolks), vanilla extract, and almond extract.  Whisk until everything is good and creamy.  Now add your chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and thoroughly combine.  Slowly pour the final batter into each of the ramekins.  Don't fill them all the way to the top.  They will climb a little, so leave a little gap.

Bake the cakes for 12-14 minutes.  This is where an oven light comes in handy.  Watch these puppies like a hawk!  You want cook them until the "tops are stiff and the edges darken." But just barely.  Remove all the ramekins and let cool for 5 minutes.  Use a small paring knife to loosen all the way around the edges of the ramekins.  The butter and granulated sugar you put on at the beginning will help, but the knife is important.  Transfer upside to your serving plates and dust with powdered sugar (I used a sifter, but you can also use a rice strainer).



Your end result should burst open perfectly and warm chocolate goo should come pouring out at you. I was so happy and relieved when these babies were done! 

1 comment: