Monday, July 9, 2012

Four Generations & a Farmer's Market

This past Saturday my Mom and I took Corgan up to my Grandmother's house.  This is Corgan's Gigi.  We left the house early, picked up pastries in town, and headed over for breakfast.  We walked in the door, and Gigi had a surprise for Corgan: a doll.  But not just any doll.  Gigi had found a doll that she had back on the farm when she was 10 years old! (By the way, when I say 'back on the farm,' I mean it.  We're West Texas Royalty, y'all.) The doll was a little creepy to me, but Corgan really seemed to enjoy it. 



Soon we sat down to breakfast of fresh pastries, pigs in a blanket, and fresh cut fruit.  Don't forget the gigantic Bloody Mary, either.  Thank you, Opa Grover!  What a way to start my weekend. Corgan got her own treat from the bakery, too.  Grandma found a duck sugar cookie covered in blue icing.  Suffice it to say that not only were her lips blue, but so was her clothes, the chair, her cheeks, and, my favorite, she left lip prints on the door glass :)




After the fabulous breakfast, we headed off to the local farmer's market.  It was soooo neat!  Most of the farmer's markets near us are tented on asphalt, but this market was actually on a farm!  The whole area was shaded under beautiful trees, and the ground was mulch.  The heat of the Texas summer was still nutso, but the shade and mulch made such a difference.  Corgan was completely thrilled with all the people who brought their dogs, and she was excited to see the chickens (they were metal craft sculptures, but she didn't know.)


My favorite part was walking among the veggies that were still growing.  They had a whole section set up with plants that were growing.  Corgan got to walk around and see the tomatoes, zucchini, and okra still growing.  I can't wait to get our 'at home' garden started so she can keep learning.  


Kiddo crashed out as soon as we got home.  Good to see that she enjoyed herself so much that it wiped her out.  I'm enjoying watching her develop into a person that is interested in things.  As she gets more and more curious, I'm starting to appreciate things more and more.  I'm a biologist. I know plants grow, but to see her point excitedly at a bloom and shout "What's that (da dat)?" reminds me to appreciate the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment