Friday, April 6, 2012

Foodie Friday: Pan-Seared Scallops on Wilted Spinach

I don't like seafood.  I could really live without it.  I was raised in a seafood eating culture, but I really could care less for it.  And I really hate scallops.  Or at least I thought I did.  My husband is a much more adventurous eater than I am, and he really enjoys scallops.  Over the years, he has ordered them a few times at restaurants, and I have always told him he is crazy for liking them.  What's to like? Their weird looking.  Well, somehow, Stuart got me to promise that I would try scallops the next time we were at a good restaurant or cook them if we found a good deal.  Not one week later, we found a great deal on scallops at Costco.  Lucky me.  Here is the recipe we found, and OMG was it worth it!  I'm converted.  I like scallops.

Pan-Seared Scallops on Wilted Spinach
(adapted from Alton Brown's recipe)


  8 large scallops
salt & pepper
4 Tbsp Irish butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
large pack of baby spinach
lemon juice
pine nuts

Start by toasting your pine nuts in a hot, dry skillet.  You can do this while you prep your scallops, just don't forget to move them around the pan every now and then.  For the scallops, rinse them under cool water and remove the tiny muscle if it's still attached.  Pat them dry with a towel and set aside.  When your pine nuts are finished, set them on a small plate to use later and melt 2 Tbsp of the butter with the olive oil in your hot pan.  I say Irish butter, because it is awesomely good!!!  My mother in law found this stuff: 


It is aptly named 'gold.'  This stuff is precious.  Use it for both the scallops and spinach and you won't go wrong.  Anyway, back to the recipe...

At the same time that you are prepping your scallop pan, you can melt the other 2 Tbsp of butter in a second pan for the spinach.  For the scallops, season them with kosher salt and black pepper.  Don't add them to the pan until the butter and oil mix is starting to bubble.  According to Alton (yes, we're on a first name basis) sear them for 1 min 30 seconds on each side.  Just like I mentioned last Foodie Friday you don't want to force the meat to flip.  The scallops will release when they are ready, but it should take at least 1 min 30 seconds.  While the scallops are searing, you can add the spinach to the other hot pan.  Use tongs to try and coat the spinach in the melted butter, and let it all wilt.  You can add lemon juice to taste, along with salt and pepper.  We used bottle lemon juice, but fresh would be wonderful. 

Once the spinach is wilted, and the scallops seared on both sides, plate and serve! Don't forget to top the spinach with the pine nuts. As I said above, this simple dish might've convinced me to like scallops. Come back and let me know if you try it.

Happy At-Home-Date-Night to us!

1 comment:

  1. That looked very good! We love the Kerrygold butter on EVERYTHING and you can't go wrong with pinenuts. BTW, Minute Maid has fresh frozen pure lemon juice in a bottle. It's in the juice section in the freezer. It's what I use when I don't have fresh lemons on hand.

    ReplyDelete