Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting My Sew On...

Corgan and her Gigi.


My Grandmother (Corgan's Gigi) is a seasoned quilter, and has made dozens during her lifetime (maybe more, but I don't know for sure), and she is very generous with giving them to loved ones.  I got my first quilt from her when I was in middle school.  She came to visit us in Saudi for the first time, and she brought me an African-inspired quilt with a pattern she designed herself.  I had just returned from a school trip to Kenya, so she made it go along with the souvenirs I brought back.  I still have it, and will always cherish it as my first grandmother-made quilt.




Since having Corgan, she's given us three more, each marking a special moment in our lives.  One for Corgan's birth, one for her baptism, and one for a housewarming gift.  Along with each of these quilts she had some labels embroidered to mark each quilt.  This past weekend, I finally had enough time to sit down and sew the patches on to two of the quilts.

My new sewing kit that I got for Christmas from my mother-in-law.
The patch for 'Oriental windows' given to us for our housewarming (quilt pictured below).
We keep this quilt in our master bedroom which has Asian-inspired decor.
A close-up of one of the windows on the quilt.
This quilt was given to us for Corgan's baptism.  The little rings you see are actually embroidered rings of flowers.

I have one more patch to sew on to Corgan's birth quilt. I didn't know that sewing these patches on would be so emotional. I know the love and time that she put into making each of these works of art, and being able to add the patches on myself makes me feel like I had a small part in completing them and is quite moving.  I hope Corgan grows up to love these as much as I do.  I also hope my grandmother knows how much I love her for these amazing gifts to my family.




2 comments:

  1. That's really sweet of your Grandmother to make those quilts. I know my grandmother made a few quilts totally by hand sewing. I think my uncle has them. :( It's nice your grandmother gets to spend time with you and Corgan. I always feel really sad that my mom only saw Corgan one time. I feel guilty for not coming and getting her and taking to Kerrville a couple of more times. She asked about her all the time and was so proud of you and Stuart for all you accomplished in such a short time. One of the things I wish I could have a "do over" on......

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome, the amount of love that went into the making of those quilts. They will be a treasure to hand down through the generations. Your Grandmother is a very special lady. You have also done her a great honor with your blog. <3

    ReplyDelete