Thursday, June 21, 2012

Color Party Decor: A Tutorial

We had a ton of fun at the annual Bankey/Piedfort/Lux Birthday Bash, and me being the big nerd that I am, I had a lot of fun setting it up. I'm obsessed with Pinterest (duh), and love looking at cool party themes for kids.  I pulled a bunch of ideas straight from Pinterest, and put them together using stuff I already had in my house along with some paint chips from Home Depot.  The cost for all the decorations was $0. :) 

The paint chips were free, I already had the string, and I already had orange and blue cups, neon pink utensils, and green napkins from previous get-togethers. Look through the pictures below to see the area labels, the 'come on in' sign for the front door, and (my favorite) the utensil holders.

 Area Labels

No matter what party I host, I have to have stations.  There is a food area, drink area, and usually a gaming area.  Therefore, the nerd in me must label them.  I saw these on Pinterest and copied.  Take paint chips from your local hardware store (go someplace you shop regularly so you don't feel guilty), then use a die cutter to cut out the letters.  Make sure the you keep all the paint chips in the same orientation so you don't have alternating color patterns.


Lay down your letters upside down and backwards so you can tape string across the back of each letter.  I used color coordinated string from my sewing kit, but you could pick string that matches your wall color so that its hidden and the letters seem to float.


You can see that I made a sign for the driveway (Birthday Bash), the drinks area, the outdoor games area, and food line (noms).  For those of you who don't know, 'noms' means food.  It's an internet thing.  Look it up. :)





Utensil Holders


I flipped out when I saw these on Pinterest!  The idea is soooo cute!  You take two of the same paint chips, put them back-to-back, and stick them together.  The Pinterest one was actually sewn on three sides, but I didn't feel like sewing 20 holders.  I went old school and stapled them. I think it worked just fine, but didn't look nearly as snazzy.  Then I put a napkin, fork, knife, and spoon in each one.  The guests thought they were so cute.

'Come On In' Sign


We have three yappy, annoying dachshunds.  We love them, but they looooove to bark, so every gathering we host we have to let people know to come on in. No knocking. No door bell.  Just come on in. I put this together from scrapbook sheets and used a colorful marker to write 'come on in'.  Then I started doodling.  Biiiiiig mistake.  I can't draw, and it looked awful.  Then I let Corgan go at it with a bunch of crayons, and that made it cute.  Stuck it on the door with rolled painters tape so that I didn't risk the new paint job.  Worked like a charm.

Since this was a party for adults I left the decor at this.  It would be easy to 'upgrade' this to a kids party by adding a bunch of crepe paper streamers and balloons! They would have so much fun with all the color!

No comments:

Post a Comment