Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Double Ear Infection = Badness

What did baby girl get for her birthday? An ear infection in one ear, with one beginning in the other, all stemming from a possible RSV infection.  Boo hoo.  I got a call midway through Wednesday afternoon that Corgan had woken up from her nap at day care with a fever of 101.  The day before Kat, one of her day care teachers, had mentioned that she had been pulling at her ear, but she didn't do anything out of the norm that night so we took her in. After I picked her up, my wonderful mother came and took over baby duties so that I could get back to work (Did I mentioned that I'm one of the directors for my school's musical? We had practice that I couldn't miss.) By the time mom got to the house, we were joking that baby girl wasn't really sick.  She was giggling, eating well, and being her normal, jovial self.  I went back to work, and the day went swimmingly.  The next day? Not so good.

Stuart took her to the doctor in the morning 'just in case,' and we got diagnosed with a double ear infection.  We made it to one year of age before we had the first ear infection, and man was it a doozy.  Stuart stayed home the first half of the day, and I came home for the second half.  He lucked out and got the nap.  I spent the next 6 hours holding her.  She was not herself at all, and didn't want to be set down anywhere.  We stayed downstairs, while I held her, and we watched t.v. and the dogs.  It was a long day (probably longer for her than me), but we made it through.

The next day, mom, yet again, came through, and took over baby watching duties mid-morning.  Stuart couldn't miss any more work, and I really needed to get in to work and finish prep for Sunday.  I work at a church so it's all about prepping for Sunday, and I did not want to have to come in on Saturday.  The angel that is my mom stayed with the ear-pained child until Stuart and I got home after 5:00 PM.  Tylenol is a great thing, but even then, she was a fussy, fussy child.

I think the antibiotics kicked in by Saturday morning and we had our perfect little girl back.  Her fevers were gone, and her fussiness was gone as well.  She and I spent three hours grocery shopping (at multiple different locals) without so much as one fussy cry. It's good to be back to normal, and it wasn't nearly as bad as the first time she got sick which was with a cold and a double case of conjunctivitis.  That was a bad time!

Corgan with pink eye :(

1 comment:

  1. oh no! Poor Corgan & Mom, Dad & Gramma....so glad she is better!

    ReplyDelete